Tuesday, May 21, 2024

A Bit of Back Story - Well, more than a bit!

ENTRY #1:  A Bit of Back Story... Well, more than a bit!

Dear Family & Friends.....

 I am a child of the 60's/ 70's, which means the Vietnam War was a prominent feature throughout my life. My mother was an RN working as a civil service nurse at Ft. Rucker Army Aviation Center in SE Alabama. Most of her friends were active duty officers who had served/ would serve in Germany, the Philippines or in Vietnam.  Given I have had just one career goal in mind... nursing.... I absorbed the stories her friends shared of SE Asia and my mind swirled with the colors, flavors and experiencs described.  Little did I know what my future would hold.

Fast forward to 2005, I finally had the opportunity to travel to Cambodia and Vietnam with the man who would become my husband, Lee.  Most fairy tales begin with the phrase, "Once Upon A Time..." Nope, not us. It was more like "Once Upon A Dare" as it had been Lee's career wish to become a missionary, but life choices took him in a different direction.  So, here we were.... two 40 somethings visiting these two countries that I had long heard about but never thought I would visit. The trip to SE Asia, sealed the deal and we married a year later. 


While we both enjoyed Vietnam, arriving in Cambodia, there was an immediate sense of connection and even need- to contribute and make make a difference.  Since 2005, I have made 9 trips to Cambodia focusing on capacity development working with the nurse educators at two hospitals and teaching in Cambodia's nursing education system. I will be doing both again this summer in Cambodia and Vietnam. Below are pictures from my earlier visits to Cambodia across the years. 






I chose the title of this summer's blog because my academic and professional journies have not been typical when compared to those of other nursing faculty.  However, God has made it clear that my life work and education are the perfect match for what opportunities He is arranging. This is a path uniquely made for me- my love for community and rehabilitation nursing and nursing education. My ability to travel solo and live in an international setting. My understanding of limited resources and adapting both clinical practice and teaching to use what is at hand. I am looking forward to what is to come. 

This summer, I start my journey on my own with two weeks in Cambodia. Lee will join me in Vietnam. The first of four flights departs on Wednesday, the 22nd and my empty suitcases are balefully staring at me.  So, I shall bring this first entry to a close. 

Wishing each of you peace, Karen








No comments:

Post a Comment

The Daily "Grind"- Eating/ Grocery Shopping in Vietnam

 June 18, 2024 Good Morning Friends and Family, Thought that I'd share a few pictures of what it is like grocery shopping, food prep, ea...