Saturday, May 25, 2024

Reuniting with Amara

Dear Friends,

 I do not share tonight's story braggadociously but simply and straightforward. Lee and I have been putting a number of rural Cambodian children through school for 10 years now.  Without our support, there would be no school at all for a number of them and a limited education for the others. 

Three years ago, a Cambodian nursing colleague contacted me and asked me if Lee and I would help support a young woman attend nursing school.  She told me any amount would help. The young woman's mother died of COVID and she now lives with her grandmother who has very limited means and just try and imagine what that means in Cambodia.  My Cambodian colleague is herself an amazing nurse who makes miracles happen everyday on a national basis for Cambodian health and the Cambodian nursing profession.  It made no sense to me that she would spend time sending out emails, following up with everyone, collecting the money, and paying the tuition for 4 years.  So, I asked her, How much for a year?  $850. $850 USD will purchase a year's worth of tuition towards a life of improved economic opportunity and the ability to even have a family. Lee and I had a "micro" discussion about it as he knew what I was thinking and was totally on board as we read the email together. 

"Amara" (not her real name) is attending a nursing program where she will earn her BSN so we knew this was a 4 year comittment.  Last summer, Lee and I met Amara for the first time along with a friend (We did not want Amara feeling outnumbered and encouraged her to bring someone.) and they both are a delight. Tonight, I have just returned to my apartment after having dinner with the two of them again.  Though the English language took some navigating, we did fine.  They are currently in a clinical rotation that is 6PM to 6AM, 3 nights a week. Yep, their clinicals are 12 hours and you will rotate days/ nights. Amara (on the right below) is starting her senior year this summer.

    We ate at Color Cup- Riverside which is definitely, most definitely a total Cambodian experience.  Next to no one speaks English and it is the very, very rare occasion that I see anyone who look anything like me (as in one time, one person). I let my guests order and other than the fish with tom yum sauce (my favorite), I have no idea what was ordered but they ate with zest and I made sure the take-away boxes (Cambodian version of "to go") were full.

Stir Fried Frog w/ Lemon Grass and Crispy Sweet Corn with Salted Egg Yolk.  Gotta say that crunching on the frog bones was not my fav!

 Mixed Seafood Fried Rice w/ Omelette

Deep Fried Fish w/ Tom Yum Sauce 

I did not want anyone sad, but I did share that it is likely 2-3 years before we return to Cambodia. I thought it only right. So, our farewell hugs were just a little bit fiercer, the tears a bit larger, and the good-bye waves a bit more dejected as the two of them took off on their moto into the Phnom Penh night. 


My life is richer for the Amaras that are a part of it and I know that their futures are brighter and now full of possibilities. And that's good enough for me.

Peace,  Karen




1 comment:

  1. It's truly a huge ripple effect you are creating in the world to be investing in education in this way. Especially, as you of all people would know, when it comes to educating a nurse!

    Also, those dishes look soooo good! Especially the crispy sweet corn. :)

    ReplyDelete

My First Vietnamese Graduation Ceremony

 27 June 2024 Dear Friends and Family,  "The" day has finally arrived and the campus has been buzzing with activity in preparation...