Saturday, May 25, 2024

First Day Back in My "Heart Home"

 My 4th flight went without a hitch, but I must say that my LAX to Taipei stretch (14 1/2 hours) was not nearly as relaxing as I would have hoped.  I just could not sleep!  I probably dozed off/ on for 3 hours, so by the time I landed in Phnom Penh, my brain was fried. That said, I got to binge watch Season 2 of Golden Age and listen to some terrific Asian musicians. 

 
3 flights down and 1 to go!                Phnom Penh Airspace

 

    I really do enjoy Phnom Penh. There is such familiarity when I land here- the sights, sounds, smells, uniquely Phnom Penh, once known as the Pearl of Asia. But it is the end of May so when I walked out the doors, I was body slammed with a wall of 101 degree heat, steaming pavement from an earlier rain,and humidity that made the air sauna-like.  Well, at least my skin and hair will stay moisturized! 

    My driver was there waiting for me and he wasted no time efficiently bundling me into his very nice SUV and getting my large bags into the back of his car. Once I checked into my apartment, while I really wanted (and needed) a shower, I knew that I needed to go ahead and make a market run.  Fortunately, Lucky Market (an international chain) has a store just a mile from the apartments where I'm staying.  The apartment van took me there and I grabbed a tuk-tuk back. 

    THEN, I could take that long overdue shower and I grabbed a two hour nap.  Though I could have slept longer, I know from experience that isn't wise.  Plus, I didn't eat much on the plane trips and was getting a bit hungry.  Fortunately,a young woman, probably 17 or 18, we met last year still sets up her pizza cart every night at the apartment entrance.  She even makes the dough.  So, for $5, I enjoyed a delicious ham, pepper and onion pizza with my feet propped up watching the river traffic on the Tonle Sap River from my roomy living room.  By 7:30PM, I knew it was time to get some proper sleep and that was it 'till a few minutes before 5AM. 

    So, I did have a humorous moment when checking into the apartment. I had emailed the manager a couple of days ago asking if a 5-gallon water bottle could be placed in the apartment for me, in anticipation for drinking water.  No problem.  Right!  Well, not quite.  I thought it very strange that just one water bottle and deposit would be $33 but that is what I paid him.  However, when I opened the apartment door, I was greeted with FIVE water bottles.  Each bottle has 12 litres (yes, the French spelling).  So, my "5- gallon" came across as 5 bottles.  Given that I am here just 2 weeks, I wonder what he thought about such a large water order!!! They quickly took 4 of the bottles and returned a majority of my money. It gave me a chuckle though and a reminder to "think" metric. 

Peace to All,

Karen



1 comment:

  1. The water bottle story was funny 😆 “think metric “ 👌🏼

    ReplyDelete

My First Vietnamese Graduation Ceremony

 27 June 2024 Dear Friends and Family,  "The" day has finally arrived and the campus has been buzzing with activity in preparation...